This French baguette recipe is absolutely fantastic! You can make it with only 4 ingredients.
Ingredients you may already have at home. You don’t need any expansive mold. And the result is really like the baguette from the French boulangerie. (Bakery)
The only thing you need is to wait 1h 30 min before baking the baguette in the oven.
Makes: 2 baguettes – Prep time: 15 mins- Rising time: 1hr, 30 mins Cook time: 25 mins
- 1 ¼ c (280 ml) lukewarm water
- 2 tsp (6 g) active dry yeast
- 3 ¼ c (400 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt (10 g)
For the dough:
- Pour the water into a bowl. Heat it in the microwave until lukewarm, about 30 seconds.
- Add the yeast and mix with a spoon. Set aside for a few minutes to activate the yeast.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt. Add water and yeast mixture, and stir to combine.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and knead for about 10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic, and doesn’t stick to your hands. If the dough is to too sticky, add a little bit of flour. If it’s too dry, add just a little bit of water and keep kneading. (You can also do this part with a KitchenAid, using the hook for 10 min)
- When your dough is ready, cover it with a cloth and let it rest for about 90 minutes, or until tk in volume. (You can let your dough rest for less time – it will simply rise less.)
To shape and bake the baguettes:
- Preheat the oven to 420°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Fill a pan or a rimmed baking sheet with water and place it on the floor of the oven.
- Cut the dough in half and form 2 balls. Dust a work surface with flour and shape each dough ball into a baguette shape about tk inches long.
- Place the baguettes on the prepared baking sheet. Using a sharp knife held at about a 45° angle, make five long lengthwise slashes in each baguette.
- Bake in the preheated over for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the baguettes are crusty and golden.
You may be wondering why we put water in the oven? On heating, this will make steam. This steam will create a beautiful golden crust. So do not forget this step!