Posted by isabel on Feb 22nd 2023
Poached pears with white wine sauce
Serves: 2 - Prep time: 10 min - Cook time: 20 min
- Measuring spoons
- Spices: 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger
- Water to cover
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 firm pears, halved, peeled, cored, stems intact
- For the sauce
- 1/4 C cooking liquid from the pears
- 1 tbsp of white wine
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- Fill a saucepan with water (enough to be covering the half pears) and add the sugar, spices and lemon juice.
- Take to boil.
- Add the pears, bring to a simmer.
- Cover with lid slightly and simmer, turning occasionally, until pears are tender but not mushy. (10 / 15min)
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer pears to small bowl.
- Empty the saucepan, keep only 1/4 C of the liquid inside.
Prepare the caramel sauce:
- In the pan with the water, add sugar and cook over medium heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Increase heat to high. Continue to stir mixture; until golden brown color (about 8 to 10 minutes.)
- Remove mixture from heat and carefully add the wine and heavy cream. The mixture will bubble up. Continue stirring and add butter.
- Pour sauce on the pears.
- Enjoy with ice cream, crumbled cookies or whipped cream.