Posted by isabel on Feb 22nd 2023
Onion soup (With white wine)
Serves: 2 - Prep time: 20 min - Cook time: 40 min
- Medium saucepan
- Oven-safe bowls or crocks
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion (about 200 g), peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 + 1/3 C vegetable broth OR 1/2 bouillon cube plus 2 cups (1/2 L) hot water
- 1/3 C white wine
- 2 slices country bread or 4 thin slices baguette
- 1/2 c (50g) shredded Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter.Add the diced onion and cook, stirring with a spatula, until golden.When the onion is cooked, add the flour and stir until the onions, butter, and flour are well combined.
- Wet the mixture with a little bit of broth and stir vigorously. Then, pour in the rest of the broth and wine and let simmer for about 30 minutes, until the broth thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper (if necessary) and pour the soup into oven-safe bowls or crocks.
- Top each bowl of soup with a slice of country bread (or 2 to 3 slices baguette) and sprinkle the bread with cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Broil 1 or 2 min to grill the cheese on top.