Jul 9th 2020
French macarons have the reputation to be hard to make.
When you find the good recipe, and you follow the steps the result is simply perfect. If you don’t believe it, let’s try this French macarons recipe step by step. You’ll be amazed by the result, and be no more afraid to bake real and unique French macarons!
Ingredients for about 20 macarons (40 shells)
- 65g of egg whites
- 40g of granulated sugar
- 150g of powdered sugar
- 85g of almond flour
- 1 pinch of Cream of Tartar or salt
Preparation of the French macarons
- First of all, you have to remove your egg whites from the fridge 2 hours before you start making macarons. They should be at room temperature and separated from the yolks. (1st key point to make nice macarons)
- Sift and mix together the powdered sugar and the almond flour.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper, placing a macaron template under the parchment paper if desired.
- Make the meringue: Beat the egg whites with cream of tartar in a separate bowl with an electric beater, gradually adding the sugar from the packet until stiff (soft peak stage). If desired, stir in food coloring (not included).
- Mix the batter: Pour the sifted dry ingredients over the meringue. Use a spatula to gently fold the mixture until it reaches the consistency of lava and runs off the spatula in ribbons.
- Pipe the shells: Preheat your oven to 300°F. Pour the batter into a pastry (piping) bag fitted with a ¼” round tip, then pipe small circles onto the paper, about 1½” wide (or follow the template)
- Let your macarons rest in a dry room for 15 min.
- Bake the shells for 18 to 20 min.
- Let cool down, and pipe filling of your choice.
Ideally let rest your filled macarons in the fridge 24h before eating them.The French macarons will be at the top of their texture and the taste of the filling will be well married to the shells.
To go with this macaron recipe:
- Our Macaron tutorial: A video of our founder Isabel making the macarons.
- Our macaron mix: to help you save time for the same result as from scratch.