This French dish is super comforting.
Serve it with boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes or rice.
Serves: 6 - Prep Time: 20 min - Cook Time: 1h
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 small bowls
- Dutch oven or stovetop-safe casserole dish
- Slotted spoon
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 2.5 ounces (70 g) smoked bacon, diced
- 1 lb (450 g) stew beef (or beef cheek), cut into cubes
- 5 medium carrots (300g, or about 2 ½ cups sliced), peeled, rinsed, and sliced
- 10 ounces (300 g) mushrooms, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into small dices
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine
- 1 big pinch salt
- 2 pinches pepper
- 15 medium yellow potatoes, boiled
- In a small bowl, mix the flour and water. Set aside.
- Heat the Dutch oven over medium heat and brown the bacon.
- In the same pan, sear the beef cubes on all sides over high heat.Pour in the wine.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms, onion, garlic, bacon, and flour-water mixture. Mix and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, at least 1 hour, stirring regularly, until the sauce thickens slightly and the meat is tender.
- Serve with the boiled potatoes.