Have you ever tried savory crepes? They're a game-changer. These Latin-inspired crepes are extremely flavorful, stuffed with sweet bell peppers, shallots, and topped with a fried egg and feta cheese.
Perfect for a fancy, romantic breakfast.
Yields 5 filled crepes
Equipment: Medium non-stick pan - Total time: 35 minutes
For the Crepe Stuffing:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large shallots
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- A pinch of fine salt
- 5 eggs
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup feta
For the Crepes:
- ½ cup & 2 tbsp (105g) Crepe Baking mix My French Recipe
- 1 tbsp & ½ tsp unsalted butter (18g)
- 1 cup & 2 tbsp milk (266ml)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp oil for cooking
Make the Filling:
- Preheat a large non-stick pan with 1 Tbsp oil. Add shallots and peppers. Sauté for 6 minutes, stirring continuously. Add chopped cherry tomatoes, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables into a large bowl. Sprinkle with garlic powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, and salt. Set aside.
- Using the same large pan, add 1 Tbsp oil. Allow the oil to get hot, then carefully crack the eggs into the pan.
- Season them with fine black pepper. When the eggs are cooked on one side (the yolk should still be liquid and the edges starting to curl), remove them from the pan. Transfer the eggs to a plate and set them aside.
Make the Crepes:
- In a small pan, melt the butter with milk on low heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg. Add the ½ cup & 2 tbsp of crepe Baking mix My French Recipe, and gradually incorporate melted butter mixture.
- Combine well, using the whisk until there are no longer any lumps.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add a little oil to the pan and swirl it to coat the bottom before cooking your first crepe.
- Spread ¼ cup of crepe batter, tilting the pan with a circular motion. This will help the batter to cover the bottom of the pan in a thin and even layer.
- Cook for one minute on one side. Loosen with a spatula, carefully flip the crepe. Cook for another minute.
- Remove from the pan.
- Repeat the process until no more batter remains.
- Refer to the pictures. Place cooked crepe on a flat plate. Add 3 Tbsp of onion pepper mix to the middle of the crepe. Sprinkle with 3 Tbsp of shredded cheese, and top with the egg.
- Fold the crepe around the filling like an envelope.
- Repeat with remaining crepes.
- Using a large spatula, transfer 2 filled crepes to a large pan, and fry for 2 minutes on medium heat. Repeat with remaining crepes.
- Serve crepes topped with crumbled feta cheese.