Enjoy these potatoes au gratin (or gratin dauphinois in French) as a main dish, or serve with a salad.
Serves: 2 - Prep time: 10 min - Cook time: 45 min
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Box grater
- Large saucepan
- Slotted spoon
- Baking dish
- 2 to 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 250 g), rinsed, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 2/3 c (150 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 c (150 ml) milk
- 1/2 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Butter for the dish
- 1/2 C (50 g) shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In a large saucepan, simmer the heavy whipping cream, milk, crushed garlic, salt, pepper for 5 minutes. Add the potato slices and let them cook for about 15 minutes, or until they turn tender.
- Butter a small (about 6-inch) baking dish. With a slotted spoon, carefully transfer the potatoes into it, and layer them without breaking them up.
- Carefully pour any remaining cream over the gratin, sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown.