Profiteroles are a classic French dessert that you will find them in every Parisian bistro.
It is made of a chou pastry and filled with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, and topped with a warm chocolate sauce.
30 min prep – 30 min baking
For 6 people
Ingredients for the chou pastry:
- 3 Tbsp (5cl) milk
- 4 Tbsp (7cl) water
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tsp sugar (5 g)
- ¼ C (45g) butter
- 2/3 C (75g) flour
- 2 eggs
Ingredients for the filling:
- Vanilla ice cream
Ingredients for the hot chocolate sauce:
- 1 C (150g) dark chocolate
- ¾ C (150g) heavy whipping cream
Directions for the chou pastry
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Pour in a pan the milk, water, salt and butter. Take to boil.
- When the mixture begins to boil, stop the heat and add the flour.Mix well to obtain a dough.
- Put again on low heat 1 or 2 minutes to slowly dry the dough.
- Out of the fire, add the eggs, one by one, while mixing well: you will obtain a smooth batter.
- Fill a pastry bag with this batter.
- On a sheet pan covered with parchment paper, pipe small petits choux, 1 or 2″ in diameter.
- Bake for 30 minutes without opening the oven door.
- Then, let it cool.
Directions for the hot chocolate sauce
- Chop your chocolate in small pieces and put it in a bowl.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan. When it’s boiling, pour half of the cream over the chocolate while mixing well.
- Then, pour the rest of the chocolate until the chocolate is totally melted.
Assembling your profiteroles
- Open your petits choux on the top with a sharp knife and fill with vanilla ice cream.
- Put 3/4 petits choux on a plate per person.
- Finally, pour over the chocolate sauce on the profiteroles.