Creme brulée, (means burnt cream in French), is a classic dessert from the Parisian bistro. It’s a vanilla custard cream topped with a thin layer of hard caramel. It’s simply delicious !
Preparation: 15 mins Cooking: 35 mins
Ingredients for the authentic French crème brulée
- Serves 4 people
- 5 egg yolks
- 90g sugar
- 60cl heavy whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
Tools you need for this creme brûlée recipe:
Preparation of the french Crème brûlée
- Cut the vanilla bean in 2 lengthways. Break the seeds into the cream. Heat without allowing to boil.
- Mix the sugar, the egg yolks and the orange blossom water in a bowl. Mix with the warm cream. Put the mixture into ramekins. Cook in a bain marie in an oven at 160°c (320°F) for 35 minutes.
- Just before serving, powder with cane sugar. Caramelise with a torch for cooking. The caramel should be a light brown. Any darker and it will have a bitter taste.
There are numerous variations on the crème brulée. It can be sweet or savory (for instance with foie gras). By using different extracts, you can give it a flavor of orange blossom water, coconut or fruit.
Cooking tools you need to make your French crème brulée
- > Ramekins
- > Torch for cooking
- > Good vanilla beans (Keep it in a closed bag in your fridge)
- > Orange blossom water
Fun fact about Crème brulée :
Did you know that crème brulée was Amélie Poulain’s favorite dessert ?