Alsace is famous for its Christmas market fad for its gingerbread. Moist with a nice hint of Christmas spices.
- ¾ Cup of water (150 g)
- 1/3 Cup of sugar (60 g)
- ½ Cup of honey (150 g)
- ½ tsp of ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of ground ginger
- ¼ tsp of ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp of ground cloves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 2 limes
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 anise stars (optional)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 ¼ Cup of flour (150 g)
- 1 ¼ tsp of baking powder (5 g)
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- 7 Tbsp of butter (95 g)
Directions for the syrup
- Bring the water with the sugar, honey and salt to a boil.
- Add the spices, the various zests, star anise and butter.
- Cover and let steep 20 minutes out of the heat.
Directions for the gingerbread
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Pour the syrup into a strainer to filter it.
- Then, pour the syrup gradually on the flour by mixing with a whisk.
- Mix until smooth.
- Pour the dough into a cake pan lined with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Bake about 40 minutes. At the end of the oven, unmold and let cool on a rack.