This crepe Suzette recipe is a must try!
If you love crepe (Who doesn’t?) you will fall in love with this classic version with a fantastic taste of orange. The sauce Suzette is a syrup made with sugar, orange, lemon and zest. You can also add Grand Marnier. And to add a spectacular effect, you can flambé your crepe Suzette! (Be careful with the fire!)
What is crepe Suzette ?
A crepe Suzette is a French dessert made from crepe and Suzette sauce: a caramelized sugar and butter sauce, mandarin or orange juice, Grand Marnier or Triple sec liqueur and zest. Suzette crepes are usually served flambées, although some cookbooks note that in the original recipe, they are served without flambé.
Crepe suzette recipe
Ingredients for the crepes
- 1 crepe baking mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter
- 3,5 cups of milk
- In a pan, melt the butter with the milk at low heat. Pour the crêpes baking mix into a bowl. Add the eggs and whisk.
- Pour the milk and melted butter gradually and whisk together until smooth.
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium high heat. With a ladle, scoop the batter, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe.
- Tilt the pan with a circular motion so the batter coats the surface evenly. Loosen with a silicon spatula, turn and cook the other side until golden brown on each side.
Ingredients for the Sauce Suzette
- 180 g of granulated sugar
- The juice of 2 fresh oranges
- 25 g of butter
- 20 cl of Grand Marnier or triple sec
- The zests of an orange
Preparation of the sauce Suzette
- Using a zester, zest the whole orange.
- In a pan start your syrup: Pour the sugar, orange juice. Bring it to a boil for a minute. Lower the heat. Add the butter and the orange zest. Mix quickly with triple sec and bring to a boil again to obtain a syrupy texture.
- Using a large brush, brush each crepe with the Suzette sauce preparation (inside and out), fold in 2 or 4 and arrange in a dish. Pour the rest of the mixture over the pancakes and flambé with triple sec.
Enjoy immediately! Bon appétit!