Gougeres, or cheese puffs are a delicious savory chou pastry with melting cheese.
It is a great appetizer to share with friends. You can change the cheese with goat cheese, and add some spices, such as cumin, curry, or cayenne pepper.
For about 20 choux
- 50 ml of milk
- 70 ml of water
- 45 g of butter
- 75 g of flour
- 2 eggs
- Salt, pepper
- 1/2 C of shredded cheese (cheddar, or swiss cheese)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Melt the butter with the milk, water and salt in a saucepan.
3. Take to boil, stop the heat. Add the flour. Using a whisk, mix well to obtain a homogeneous paste.
4. Cook again at low heat 1 minute, while mixing, to slowly dry the dough. Stop the heat.
5. Add the eggs one by one while mixing well: you will obtain a smooth dough. Add the shredded cheese and mix.
6. Fill a pastry bag fitted with round pastry tip with this dough. Using a sheet pan covered with parchment paper, pipe into 1 to 2" circles (about 3/4" high), spacing them an inch apart.
7. Bake for 30 minutes without opening the oven door while cooking.