The French madeleine is a traditional small cake from Commercy and Liverdun, two little cities of the Lorraine region in northeastern France.
It’s definitively the perfect accompaniment to your afternoon cup of tea or coffee. The French madeleine is also a beautiful present to give to your friends or family!
French Madeleine is a very small sponge cakes with a distinctive shell-like shape acquired from being baked in pans with shell-shaped depressions. Aside from the traditional moulded pan, commonly found in stores specialising in kitchen equipment and even hardware stores, no special tools are required to make French madeleines excepted the madeleine mold.
If you are thinking about a trip in France, start by making your tastebuds travel with this easy and delicious recipe. You can also add a chocolate chips to this recipe, or some vanilla?
A génoise cake batter is used. The flavour is similar to, but somewhat lighter than, sponge cake.
Ingredients for 20 French madeleines
- 1 French madeleine baking mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (113g)
- 2 tsp of honey (20g)
Tools you will need to make your home made madeleines:
- Madeleine pan
How to use the madeleine baking mix
- Melt the butter.
- In a bowl, pour the Madeleines baking mix.
- Add the eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Add the butter and the honey and mix.
- Scoop the batter into the cells of the Madeleine pan, filling them 2/3 full.
- Put the pan in the fridge. Preheat your oven at 350°F.
- When your oven is at temperature, bake for 10 to 12 min.
You will need a madeleine pan to realize the famous madeleine hump!
Let cool before unsticking. Enjoy with a delicious hot chocolate…